You're finished! Your book baby is done!
You've slaved for months, years, decades, and now you're ready to go. But are you?
Has your mother, father, husband, sisters, brothers, BFF's, and their boyfriends and husbands all read your manuscript with glowing reviews? Your critique partners, writing group, and teachers have all exuded praise? But is it fabulous because you actually do have the next Bridget Jones or because they didn't want to dash your dreams?
There's only one way to find out: An unbiased opinion from a chick lit lover and chick lit reviewer.
I will critique your novel in the same manner that I review all of the books I read for Novel Escapes. My reviews typically have a count between 350-500 words if you want a reference point and this is Lydia ‘speaking’ and who will be the Novel Escapes reviewer critiquing your novel. Sorry, but I have a hard time speaking about myself in the third person!
Critique length will be between 1000 and 1500 words for a full length manuscript (85,000+ words). I cannot guarantee an overall word count because if you have written the next Becky Bloomwood then I may not have too much to say when I point out how marvelous your manuscript is. I will, however, give your manuscript the attention it deserves, and when I feel strongly about something, I may even write more.
Here’s what I do:
- Critique Contemporary Women’s Fiction/Chick Lit only at this time. If your manuscript doesn't quite fit and you would like an exception, email me your genre along with an outline of your novel and we’ll chat. If I don’t feel I’m a good fit, I won’t try to do it anyway and take your money.
- Provide an unbiased, honest opinion of your work.
- Critique based on how I review all my novels for Novel Escapes.
- Critique plot, characterization, dialogue, setting and theme.
- Discuss what I love about your manuscript.
- Discuss what I like about your manuscript.
- Outline what I wished had been included or omitted in your manuscript
- Include suggestions about what I think might strengthen it.
- Outline in detail what worked for me and what didn't.
- Point out repetition, timeline issues, clichés, show vs tell and anything else that jumps out at me, but I do not edit, rewrite or proofread.
- Provide a critique of approximately 1000-1500 words for a full length manuscript (85,000-120,000 words).
- Email your novel critique within 3 weeks of receiving your manuscript and fee. If I know anything in advance that would prevent this, I will advise you prior to payment.
Here’s what I don’t do:
- Profess to love your work if I don't just so you'll come back.
- Provide solutions - I may include suggestions.
- Argue that you must make all the changes I suggest.
- Forward your work to publishers.
- Automatically review your novel when published on Novel Escapes, however if I love your work and would like to feature it on Novel Escapes when published, I will ask.
Here’s the cost:
15,000 words or less - $99.00
40,000 words or less - $175.00
85,000 words or less - $285.00
120,000 words or less -$399.00
All prices quoted in US Dollars.
- You work is your work. Copyright is always yours.
- Critique copyright is mine. Approval is required for its use.
- Your privacy and confidentiality is of utmost importance and will remain respected at all times.
- I may not love your work, but that doesn't mean others won't love it.
- I cannot guarantee you will be published - No one can.
- I reserve the right at any time to return your manuscript/destroy an electronic copy and fully refund your payment if I am unable to complete your critique.
- All manuscripts will be destroyed within 30 days of critique completion.
- I reserve the right to change my fees at any time, but this will not alter any critique in progress and for any that are in discussion, the author will be provided a deadline for to obtain the old price.
- I do not do phone consultations, in person meetings or lengthy consultations at this time.
- I will respond to a few questions beyond the critique about your work, but am unable to further the conversation due to time and financial constraints.
- All services are non refundable.
Let’s get started!
- Send me an email at lydia.laceby(at)yahoo.com that includes a synopsis of your manuscript, word count, and the first 10 pages.
- I will reply with brief feedback so you can see how I work and I can see how you write.
- You send me an email confirmation that you would like to receive a critique.
- I will issue an invoice via email.
- You pay the invoice (via paypal or credit card - cheque payment will delay critique by a minimum of 6-8 weeks for cheque clearance). NO work begins until payment is received.
- You email me your manuscript.
- Critique begins when payment is received. (In the event of a discrepancy between word count, a new invoice will be issued for any difference).
- Within 3 weeks you will receive an email with my novel critique.
How to submit:
Send an email with your manuscript.
PDF is acceptable as I do not alter or mark up your manuscript.
Please advise if you prefer to mail your manuscript. If selecting this option:
1) You must retain a copy for your records.
2) There is an additional charge if you want it returned.
3) We cannot guarantee delivery or timing of delivery to have it returned.
4) No comments will be made on the manuscript itself.
5) There will be delays with the critique depending on mail delivery.
12pt, double spaced, New Times Roman, and 1 inch margins.
Ensure the pages are numbered and that your name, telephone number and email address are on the title page.
Please contact me if you have any questions at lydia.laceby(at)yahoo.com
I look forward to working with you to make your manuscript the best it can be!
Now, go on, click the link, email me and then dig out that pen and get started on your next novel....